This Eggs Royale recipe is our go to treat breakfast. In fact the first time that Damian made this for me, before I went to work in the morning ( it was a 6.30am breakfast) I do remember thinking ‘He’s a keeper’. I even sent a picture to my sister of my breakfast – she agreed with me.
We often get a small pack of salmon in the weekly shop – it tends to be more of a weekend breakfast now. What happened to romance huh?! You may want to double the quantity of eggs and salmon for your Eggs Royale and have the muffins in half – both with some salmon and an egg on it.
Motorhome cooking facilities and equipment needed . . .
- Can be made on a single gas burner.
- Having a grill makes it easier
- If on EHU – then a toaster is easier still (I don’t know anyone that has a toaster in a van though)
- 1 small saucepan (to boil for the hollandaise bowl)
- Glass bowl (to fit on the saucepan above, without touching the water)
- A whisk (for the hollandaise)
- knife for cubing butter, slicing lemon and chopping chives if using
- Wooden spoon (to create a whirlpool)
For the Eggs Royale
- 2 muffins
- 2 fresh free range eggs
- 2 slices of salmon
- dash of white wine vinegar
For the hollandaise sauce
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
- 3oz butter
- lemon juice or fresh lemon
To serve your Eggs Royale
- lemon wedge
- fresh chives (if you grow them in the motorhome)E
For the hollandaise
- Take the small saucepan of water and bring it a simmer.
- Add the vinegar, lemons juice and egg yolks into the glass bowl and whisk until frothy.
- Place the glass bowl on the saucepan and continue to whisk until it thickens.
- Gradually whisk the butter in, bit by bit, until all the butter is gone.
- If at any point it looks like oil is forming – take it off the heat and keep whisking. This will stop the sauce from splitting.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Leave off the heat but over the saucepan until ready to use. (Use some cling film over the surface to stop a skin from forming.
Toast the muffins
- Cut the muffins in half and toast under the grill
- Butter the toast if desired.
To poach the eggs
- Add a dash of vinegar to a saucepan of water and bring to boil.
- Crack the 1st egg into a cup or glass
- Turn down the heat slightly and with a wooden spoon create a whirlpool for the egg to go into (this keeps the egg white and yolk together more)
- Once the first one is in, do the next one (careful about the whirlpool creation as there is an egg in there now)
- Poach literally for 2 minutes so the yolk stays runny.
Serving your Eggs Royale
- But the muffins on the plate stacked on top of each other.
- Add a slice of salmon.
- Top gently with a poached egg
- Spoon over the delicious hollandaise sauce
- Sprinkle with the chopped chives and serve with a wedge of lemon.
Tips and cheats for cooking Eggs Royale in your motorhome . . .
These are the advice and tips that we have to help adapt the usual eggs royale recipe so that it can be made on one gas burner rather than two.
- You could toast your muffins on your gas hob, holding the toast with tongs – or in a fish/veg BBQ rack.
Swap the salmon out and bring in bacon – making an Eggs Benedict.
Make it vegetarian and swap the salmon for spinach and create an Eggs Florentine.